Pain Management Specialists
We feature one of the first multidisciplinary pain management practices to be founded in the greater Milwaukee area. Our pain management physicians are certified by one or more recognized pain management boards, and each specializes in specific pain management techniques.
Common Pain Management Methods
Proper pain management requires an approach that considers both the physical and emotional implications of a chronic condition. Depending on the cause and nature of chronic pain, there are a variety of pain management tools available for consideration:
Medication is one of the most common tools in the pain management toolbox. The type and strength of medication will vary depending on the cause and intensity of a chronic pain condition, but here are some common chronic pain medications:
- NSAIDs – NSAIDs are Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs such as Ibuprofen or Aspirin.
- Acetaminophen – Commonly known in the over-the-counter form, Tylenol.
- Antidepressants – Can be used to improve quality and length of sleep, in addition to alleviating pain.
- Steroids – Can be used to alleviate inflammation, a common source of chronic pain.
- Anti-Seizure – Can be used to treat pain related to damage to the nervous system.
In addition to other pain management tools, therapy can be an integral part of a rehabilitation process. This commonly includes physical therapy and exercise to fortify and accelerate progress, but may also include emotional or cognitive & behavioral therapy to help cope with the stress and hardship that can come along with a chronic pain condition.
Pain Management Doctors
- Dr. Thomas Stauss
- Navtej Purewal, MD
Wisconsin Surgery Center
3305 South 20TH Street
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Map and Driving Directions